Get on Board. . .Don’t Get Left Behind!
Why: To put into action Cornerstone’s mission: “Renewing our families, our city, and our world by bringing faith and life together in Christ.” – To be a blessing to our community – To come along side the Arc of Katy and help them minister to those who might be considered by some to be the “least of these”.
Who: The Arc of Katy (A 501(c)(3) Corporation) works to create opportunities for all children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) that enable each person to be a participating and respected member of our community and to grow in mind, body and spirit. Resources in their vision include, but are not limited to: Day Activity Programs, Expanded Adult Activities, Respite Care, Group Homes & other Residential Services, Family Counseling & Support Education. If you would like to know more about their program, please call 832-754-9802.
What: Summer Day Program (2 and 3 week sessions) Started in February of 2005. The Arc’s Day Programs provide fun, socialization opportunities and a wide variety of activities for individuals 16 and over with IDD who do not have jobs or other meaningful activity. You will be surprised what all their “kids” can do and how much they love being a part of the community.
When: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday each week June 10 through August 22.
Where: Cornerstone’s campus
How: To volunteer there is paperwork to complete and a back ground check must be performed. You may get the forms from Beverly Tucker, the church office or the Arc of Katy’s website. If you went through this process last year you do NOT need to repeat it this year. Here is a list of ways you can get on board and help us be a blessing to these members of our community:
- Security Shift: The Arc needs people 18 years and older to sit at the front door of the gym from 8am to noon and noon to 3pm every Monday through Thursday. Just sit and read, play Angry Birds on your phone or write the next great American novel – just be there to be a gate keeper. We would like to cover as many of these shifts as possible and to make it as convenient as possible.
- Lunches: help prepare and serve lunch at the beginning of each Session (contact Linda Cover about this assignment at (713) 464-7787 or email@example.com.) Lunch dates will be: June 10, July 1, July22, and August 12.
- VBS Carnival: This 1 day event is a good opportunity for families to serve together. This year we want to use a previous VBS curriculum as our theme. We would like to have: a cake walk to learn a theme song, a scripture memory obstacle course; a live skit for the lesson, craft for reinforcement of the lesson. This is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, August 8 at 1pm.
- Community Crafts: These would occur once per session (dates TBD). The idea is that we would come up with the craft and supplies and spend an afternoon working with the campers creating something for area non profits. Ideas we are tossing around are: fleece blankets for Pregnancy Help Center; decorating notes and scripture cards to be included in Katy Christian Ministries meals; and decorating lunch bags for Ft Bend Co. Lunches of Love.
- ARC Sunday: Our ultimate goal is to invite the campers and their families to worship with us one Sunday this summer. This is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, August 4. The idea is to teach the campers a song to be shared with our congregation during the worship service. We want to give them the opportunity to usher and greet people as well. (Each ARC camper will be partnered with one of Cornerstone’s experienced ushers and greeters). And since this would be a Community Lunch day we would invite the families to stick around for fellowship and a meal after the service. We need an adult to volunteer to lead a music time with the campers a few times to teach them a song and at least 1 other adult volunteer to assist the leader. This is something the ARC has really wants, as many of the campers enjoy music more than anything else.
- ARC Open House: At the end of the summer the ARC has a tradition of hosting an Open House for the friends and families of the ARC campers. This is a highly energetic event where the campers show off the skills they have learned over the summer, projects they have completed and give the families a taste of their experiences. We want to provide a reception for those who attend this event. We will need baked goods and beverages and people to serve them. This event will more than likely be scheduled for Thursday, August 22 around 1pm.
- Donate items: This list will be added to once menus and plans are finalized, but here are a few items to get started:
- markers (thin and fat)
- coloring books
- lunch sacks
- Prayer: Most importantly, pray! Pray for Arc, their staff and campers. Pray for good weather over the summer. Pray for the Arc Team as we begin to meet together. Pray that the Lord would use Cornerstone to be a blessing and proclaim the gospel.
I look forward to hearing from you.