Ideas for Coronavirus Time
Thank you Thomas family for your work in putting together this helpful list.
- Pray. Some are affected very deeply by this. (Some are facing quarantine, either self or mandatory. Some are alone, wage loss or job loss, uncertainty, anxiety.)
- Prioritize Scripture reading. Alone and together as a family.
- Text people that you prayed for them.
- Facetime / Video conversations and hangouts regularly.
- Record Prayer Videos. Example: A family setup a camera and prayed together for our family and then sent it to us on Facebook.
- Share that HEB (and some other stores) are allowing “seniors only” to shop for the first hour they are open.
- Ask to pick up groceries for those that are higher risk. (More info to come around this idea.)
- If you have sidewalk chalk, write encouraging messages or pictures so people driving by can see them. (Our neighborhood is doing this together. Everyone is going to drive around on Saturday.)
- For $15 a month you can have a ZOOM.com account and video call with up to 100 people.
- Share reputable FACTS and their sources. We were sent a message the other day saying that “country’s without 5G cell towers don’t have COVID-19…”
- Stay in contact. Email, Social Media, Text, Video Calls
- www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/ – Care, prevention and information
- https://systems.jhu.edu/research/public-health/ncov/ – Reliable numbers with “recovered” counts.
- https://ourworldindata.org/ – Reputable numbers by country on the spread of the virus
- https://www.khanacademy.org/ – Resources and videos to help students keep learning at home
- https://katydisasterresponse.com/ – Good source for local information and helpful resources
- https://favordelivery.com/order-delivery/h-e-b-5/ – or call 833-397-0080 (Restricted to Seniors only (60+) for the H-E-B and Favor Senior Support program. Limit orders to 25 items max. Item availability may change.)
Helpful Apps: (Other than text and Facebook.)
- What’s App (International text messaging)
- Marco Pollo (Video messaging app. Easy to use.)
- Among Us (Game for up to 10 people played over the internet all together. Takes about 10 minutes a round. All ages, lots of fun. We setup a speaker phone and play.)
- Zoom (Free video calls)
- Keep a routine. (Wake, shower, reading and coffee, news reading time, connect with someone time, etc.)
- Limit reading news ALL DAY. But do stay informed.
- Celebrate whatever you can in whatever way you can. Example: Send a video singing happy birthday to those you cannot be with in person.
- Let yourself and others be sad. That’s okay for a time.
- Helpful one page document for coping with stress and keeping a routine: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/coping-with-stress.pdf?sfvrsn=9845bc3a_2&fbclid=IwAR2LMEwiGNeUGsNXMlRf5G_5DJLQBqQLGdtRgnZsczTjTJjyvY94zBE4Evk
While you are talking with others or comforting someone during this difficult and unprecedented time, “rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep”. These are hard times and people are going to react in different ways. We need to be understanding of that. Listen with the purpose of understanding, identify with them, let them know you are there.
fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Is 41:10 ESV)